Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Banned PETA Commercial

Vegetarian's and carnivores alike will appreciate this ad. I found it over at Screaming Me Me- funny site!

CONTENT WARNING: Overt sexual imagery (it was apparently banned- but its amusing).



While this ad is a bit more suggestive sexually than most, I think its interesting that it was banned when so many other ads with sexual content are not. Ads selling games, jeans, cars, lingerie, even candy and many other products use gorgeous women in barely any clothing or sexual situations to sell products not related to sex at all. I generally don't condone highly sexualized ads as it leads to people, especially young girls who are still forming their identities and beliefs about their bodies and sex, to being surrounded with constant sexual imagery. The constant sexual imagery in our media can lead one to believe that the sexual situations, frequency, behaviors, body types, activities, etc, that you see on TV and in ads are the norm (or worse viewed as the only way or the 'right way') and thus seen as what you 'should be doing'.

Its ironic that one of the few sexualized ads that has been banned recently is one that is condoning eating healthy food (namely veggies!) as opposed to so many ads out there for fat and sugar-laden monstrosities. I am not a vegetarian, nor am I a hard-core PETA advocate (they do some things that I support and some things that are a bit over the top from my perspective). But I like that they, perhaps inadvertently, are advocating for a healthier diet, while also supporting their cause of saving animals (which is a pretty worthwhile as well!).

8 comments:

Kimberly February 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

I had heard about this ad being banned and I had also questioned their argument about the double standard in advertising when there are so many sexually driven adds. But now that I've watched it I tend to agree that it's a little too hot for the super bowl and all the children who watch. It may be for a good cause but I also believe that despite that fact young girls are very impressionable not to mention boys. And scantily clad, greased up woman practically masturbating with vegetables is not nutritious food for their young brains.

LJ February 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

I guess this is one of my qualms with PETA- they are working for a good cause but they come from such an extreme angle at times they rub me in the wrong way. As an adult I found the commercial amusing, but I would not want children or even teens to see it because they can be so easily influenced. Advertising often has secondary messages or imagery that is just as meaningful as the main message. unfortunately advertisers don't always want to lay claim to these secondary messages (i.e. I was just showing off my soda product, the half naked women and resulting stereotypes and body-image issues are not my fault!). Advertisers are completely responsible for the content of their ads, and while this ad has on one level a good message about eating more veggies, it uses such blatantly evocative women in sexual positions and imagery that it could do more harm than good to show it on a medium such as TV that is streamed into homes across the country and viewed by all age groups at that time of day.

(Do not get me wrong, I am never for restriction of speech. The sad fact is only those who can afford to purchase ads can gain the mass audience of tv viewership. It is not too much to ask that those who have this power of putting thoughts and ideas into the minds of the masses to use this power in the least harmful way.)

R V February 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

I think it should not be banned when there are others ads which are more provoking than this one. But I am not running the censor board, others are.

Vinay

3L March 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

HAHAHHAHA! I never knew veggies were so hot. First time visiting your site and it left a good impression. Thanks.

Mikes Sumondong March 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

This is very funny. i think PETA is very artistic in advertising their ideals and opinion. i think it should never be banned. where's our freedom of speech? but still yes it's funny. lol.

salem April 12, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

Very funny! It's a clearn Lent joke!

Richard Smalley May 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

quality, but i feel like another ewe for copying the other sheep who clicked on that clip. I feel asheeped of myself.

www.thetravellerreturns.com

Catalin B. September 4, 2010 at 3:01 AM  

Cool ad. Funny and provocative. These days it's not that easy to create ads that are unique and new. Congrats to the ad making company and it's a pity it was banned.

Valued Visitors

Top Topics

  ©All site content COPYRIGHT of authors.
Thanks to Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008
.

Back to TOP